An official website of the United States government

You want to abandon your lawful permanent resident status in the U.S.

When to return a “Green Card”

As a permanent resident of the United States holding a Green Card (permanent resident/LPR card) you must maintain your status in order to continue to be admitted to the United States as a permanent resident. You can find guidance on maintaining your permanent resident status (LPR status) on USCIS’ website.

If you are unable to maintain your status because you reside permanently – or for long periods of time – outside the United States, you may wish to voluntarily abandon your LPR status and card. Voluntarily abandoning your LPR status may help avoid complications and delays at the U.S. port of entry when arriving as a non-immigrant visa holder.


How to return the “Green Card”

The Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, should be mailed to the following address:


USCIS Eastern Forms Center

Attn: I-407 Unit

Post Office Box 567

Williston, VT 05495



Individuals submitting the I-407 to the Eastern Forms Center must include their Permanent Resident Card (I-551 green card), if available, along with any other travel documents issued by USCIS.  Individuals should not turn in identity documents that were not issued by USCIS.  Additional filing information is available on www.uscis.gov/I-407.


After returning the “Green Card”

Signing and submitting the I-407 form and card will formally communicate to the immigration authorities that you do not intend to return to the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident.

When you give up your status and your card, you also give up the rights and benefits associated with that status. If at a later time you want to live, work or study in the United States, you will have to obtain the appropriate visa in order to do so. If you want to return to the United States as a permanent resident, you will have to re-apply for a new immigrant visa.

If you have further questions regarding this process, kindly contact USCIS.