An official website of the United States government

Visa or ESTA?

If you’re a Danish citizen and holding a Danish passport, you probably don’t need a visa to visit the U.S. for tourism and/or business. Instead, you can travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) with an approved ESTA.

If you can answer YES to all of the four questions below, you only need an ESTA approval to travel to the United States:

  1. Are you a citizen of one of the 40 countries which participate in the Visa Waiver Program?
  2. Is your trip to the United States for business or tourism purposes? If not, you need to apply for a visa.
  3. Will your stay in the United States (to include side trips to Canada or Mexico) be for 90 days or less? If not, you need to apply for a visa.
  4. Does your passport meet the requirements for visa free travel? If not, you need to apply for a visa.

If you are eligible to use ESTA, please visit the ESTA web page. If you received an approved travel authorization after using ESTA, you may travel to the United States without a visa.

If your application for an ESTA is denied you will need a visa in order to travel to the United States.

VWP travelers should be aware that unauthorized third-parties have established web sites which charge visitors seeking to travel to the United States under the VWP for information about ESTA and for submitting ESTA applications to DHS on behalf of the traveler. These businesses and web sites are not endorsed or associated with the United States Government. Free information about ESTA can be found on the official ESTA web site.