Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark (March 18, 2020)
Event: Effective 10:00 a.m. on March 18, the government of Denmark has implemented new measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The Danish government has prohibited groups of more than ten people gathering in any public space indoors or outdoors. Furthermore, the Danish government strongly urges that functions in private homes for ten or more people be cancelled. Most businesses are closed although supermarkets and pharmacies remain open, and some restaurants and cafes continue to serve takeaway options. These measures will remain in effect until March 30. Visit the Danish government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Greenland Air Travel Restrictions Effective March 20: On March 17, the Greenlandic government announced that all domestic flights, including those between Kangerlussuaq and Copenhagen, will be suspended beginning midnight on March 20. Major ferry services in Greenland will also close beginning March 21. After this date, the possibility of emergency patient evacuations and limited service for other urgent travel will be evaluated by the Greenlandic government on a case-by-case basis.
Air Travel from Denmark: Many travelers in Denmark have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
U.S. Embassy Operations: Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Copenhagen has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information. Due to reduced staffing at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen, you should call or e-mail us for emergency assistance.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Call the Danish COVID-19 hotline if you are in Denmark and experiencing flu-like symptoms: +45 70 20 02 33.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Expect additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Denmark.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark
Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 København Ø
During business hours: + 3341-7100
After business hours: + 3341-7400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Denmark Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter