IMPORTANT: Passport Applications for Minors must be signed in front of a Consular Officer at the Embassy. To visit the Embassy, one must make an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit requests that you schedule one appointment for each person that needs a service. If this is not possible, please contact the American Citizens Services Unit by e-mail. The e-mail address is CopenhagenACS@state.gov.
All Minors Must Appear in Person.
To enhance the accurate identification of passport applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and trafficking, the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs has begun requiring the personal appearance of all minors applying for U.S. passports.
This applies to all regular, official and diplomatic passports for children under the age of 16, even if the child has previously been issued a passport. Prior to the introduction of this requirement, parents were not routinely required to bring a child under the age of 16 with them when they applied on the child’s behalf. Now, when applying for a passport on behalf of a minor under the age of 16, parents are required to have their child present and submit documentation of parental relationship and consent, as well as comply with all other documentation requirements for the issuance of a passport.
The personal appearance requirement for all minors is a further step towards ensuring the integrity of the passport application process. This change will help to verify the identity of minor applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and trafficking.
In general, the American Citizen Services Unit encourages both parents to come to the Embassy and sign the passport application in front of a Consular Officer unless one parent has full legal custody. If one parent has full legal custody, the parent must bring the original court order. If both parents are not able to attend, a Statement of Consent DS-3053, can be signed and notarized but no more than 90 days in advance of the interview.
- Previously issued U.S. Passport and one copy
- Passport application form DS-11
- One color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit: https://dk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/photos/
- Original U.S. Birth Certificate or the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and one copy
- Photo ID for both parents and one copy of each document
- Self-addressed stamped envelope with 120 DKK in stamps (150 DKK if you live in Sweden)
For children under 16 U.S. $ 115 (747,50 DKK)
For users of DS-11 over 16 U.S. $ 145 (942.50 DKK)
For DS-82 U.S.$110 (715.00 DKK).
The fee can be paid in cash or credit card. The American Citizen Services Unit accepts both Danish kroner cash and U.S. Dollars.