IMPORTANT: The passport application form DS-82 does not require a visit to the Embassy, however, there is currently NO way for the Embassy to accept payments by mail nor electronically. Until a solution to this problem is approved by Department of State, you must submit your application to the Embassy in person, and you must make an appointment.
Current regulations reflect the long standing policy of the Department of State that no person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, passport at any one time unless under circumstances specifically authorized by the Secretary of State.
The issuance of a second, concurrently valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. The validity of a regular American passport is ten (10) years. The second, concurrently valid passport will be limited in validity for two (2) years. This passport is not extendable.
To apply for a second passport, the applicant will need to submit the following documents:
- Your passport
- Passport application form DS-82 (PDF 90 KB)
- One color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit our passport photo instructions page.
- One copy of the data page of your previous U.S. passport
- A completed “Statement in Support of Application for Second Passport“(PDF 5 KB)
- A letter from the employer explaining the need for a second passport, including a list of expected destinations for the next year
- Self-addressed stamped envelope with 99 DKK in stamps (132 DKK if you live in Sweden)
The passport fee is US Dollars 110/715 DKK when applying for a new passport using passport application form DS-82.