Important Notice – May 18, 2020
EXPIRED PASSPORTS ONLY – The U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen is resuming the passport mail-in renewal option for expired passports only. However, expect long delays in receiving your new passport as the printing facilities in the United States which produce all U.S. passports – no matter where in the world you apply – are closed due to COVID-19. There is no definitive date when U.S. print facilities will resume operations and we are unable to guarantee when you will receive your new passport. We remain open to process an emergency passport for immediate travel involving a life or death emergency. E-mail us at CopenhagenACS@state.gov if your passport is expired and you have emergency travel.
VALID PASSPORTS – If you have a valid passport with time left before it expires, DO NOT use the mail-in option. It is important that you keep a valid passport in your possession in the event you need to travel for unexpected, emergency reasons. If you choose to send your still-valid passport to us for renewal, expect long delays in receiving your new passport as the printing facilities in the United States which produce all U.S. passports – no matter where in the world you apply – are closed due to COVID-19. There is no definitive date when U.S. print facilities will resume operations and we are unable to guarantee when you will receive your new passport. Additionally, we are unable to guarantee a timely return of your valid passport after you send it to us should you need it to travel unexpectedly.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Beginning September 2, 2019, U.S. Embassy Copenhagen is accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. passport renewal applications. Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person. Until September 2, however, your only option to submit a DS-82 application is to make an appointment to submit the application and pay the application fee in person at the embassy. See our FAQ page for more information on this new process.
Special Note for U.S. Citizens in Sweden: Please note that the online fee option is a pilot program limited to U.S. citizens residing in the Kingdom of Denmark only. U.S. citizens who reside in Sweden are not eligible for the online fee payment option at this time. If you live in Sweden and want to submit a DS-82 application at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen you may do so by scheduling an in-person appointment at the embassy. If you live in Sweden and want to submit your passport application at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm please visit their website for detailed instructions.
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals
You are eligible to use form DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application if:
- You can submit your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card;
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued;
- You hold a 10 year passport which was issued within the past 15 years;
- Your U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation or multiple passport thefts/losses; and
- You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or divorce or court order for which you can submit official documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) to support name change. If you have changed your name in Denmark, you need to provide the American Citizen Services Unit with a certificate of change of name (Navneændringsattest) issued by the local church office (sognekontor). Please note that the unit will not be able to accept a print out from your Nem-ID account.
If you do not meet these criteria please see “Apply for a Passport” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a DS-11 passport application in person at the embassy.
DS-82 Passport Renewal Form Submission Options
Beginning September 2, 2019 U.S. Embassy Copenhagen is accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. passport renewal applications. Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person. Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $110 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, Amazon Pay, or PayPal. Please see our online renewal eligibility wizard to determine if you are eligible for online fee payment.
Applicants who wish to apply for their passport renewal in person may still do so. This requires scheduling an appointment and paying the fees to our cashier at the Embassy. Click here to schedule an in-person appointment.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment – for U.S. citizens residing in the Kingdom of Denmark:
(available September 2, 2019 at 12:01 a.m. EST)
Step 1: Complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form. Please complete the entire form by typing or printing clearly in black ink. Be sure to sign and date the form where stated.
Step 2: Obtain one color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit: https://dk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/photos/
Step 3: Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the data page of your previous U.S. passport.
Step 4: Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.
Step 5: Pay the $110 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. You must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive via e-mail after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the embassy. Please note that this site will become active at 12:01 a.m. EST on September 2.
Step 6: Obtain a pre-paid (with 90 DKK in stamps), self-addressed envelope to the address where you want your passport mailed within the Kingdom of Denmark.
IMPORTANT: Write a return address on BOTH the mailing and self-addressed envelopes! [All envelopes without a return address will be rejected].
Step 7: Mail all the items listed above to the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. You are strongly encouraged to send your DS-82 passport renewal package via registered mail.
U.S. Embassy Copenhagen
Attn: Consular – American Citizen Services
Dag Hammarskjolds Alle 24
Step 8: You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your new passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen and we have put your new and old passport in the local mail for delivery using your pre-paid, self-addressed envelope. Passport processing takes approximately three weeks.
Instructions for DS-82 Submission in Person at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen:
Step 1: Schedule an in-person appointment at the U.S. Embassy using our online scheduling system.
Step 2: Bring the following documents with you on the day of your appointment:
- Your passport that you are renewing
- Passport application form DS-82(PDF 90 KB). Please complete the entire form by typing or printing clearly in black ink. Be sure to sign and date the form where stated.
- One color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit: https://dk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/photos/
- One copy of the data page of your previous U.S. passport
- If you want your new passport mailed back to you, rather than coming back to the embassy to collect it in person, bring a self-addressed, stamped envelope with 90 DKK in stamps for delivery in Denmark.
- Cash – in Danish kroner or U.S. dollars – or credit card to pay the $110 DS-82 passport application fee (or 770 in DKK).
Step 3: You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your new passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. If you provided us a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope during your appointment we will send your passport back to you by mail. Otherwise, the e-mail you receive will provide instructions on how and when you can collect your new passport from the embassy. Passport processing takes approximately three weeks
If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to CopenhagenACS@state.gov and include your contact information.