Children’s Passport

IMPORTANT: Passport Applications for Minors must be signed in front of a Consular Officer at the Embassy. To visit the Embassy, one must make an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit requests that you schedule one appointment for each person that needs a service. If this is not possible, please contact the American Citizens Services Unit by e-mail. The e-mail address is

All minors must appear in person.  The personal appearance requirement for all minors is a further step towards ensuring the integrity of the passport application process.

In general, the American Citizen Services Unit encourages both parents to come to the Embassy and sign the passport application in front of a Consular Officer unless one parent has full legal custody. If one parent has full legal custody, the parent must bring the original court order. If both parents are not able to attend, a Statement of Consent DS-3053, can be signed and notarized but no more than 90 days in advance of the interview.

Complete FORM DS-11 online, on behalf of your child, and print it out. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Danish address, even if it is only temporary.  Do NOT sign the form.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if your child does not have a Social Security Number or you do not remember it.  Do NOT list your child’s CPR number.

For a minor child that does not have Social Security Number, a parent must submit a statement, signed and dated that includes the phrase, “I (name of parent), parent/guardian of (name of child applying) declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: My child has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

On your application form you must write the word ‘NONE‘ at item no. 5 on your DS-82 or DS-11 form.  Do NOT write zeros.

This statement will work only once. Upon receipt of your new passport you must apply for a Social Security Number asap.  The application begins by contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Oslo, Norway

Present your child’s most recently issued U.S. passport.  If that passport has expired more than five years ago, you must also bring your child’s valid identity document, e.g. it’s foreign passport or identity card.

As you will be signing on behalf of your minor child, you must show that you are the parent(s) or legal guardian. Documents demonstrating a child’s relationship to parents or guardians, include:

– U.S. or foreign birth certificate with parents’ names

– Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), listing parents’ names

– Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names

– Court order establishing custody or guardianship (original or certified copy).

Previous passports do NOT constitute proof of the relationship.  The above applies even if it is a second or third passport for your child.

Parent’s valid U.S. or foreign passport(s), or other government issued photo identity document(s).

Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo of your child. We cannot process the smaller Danish format photos!  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

Bring a plain printed photocopy of:

  • Your child’s passport’s biographical information page, and
  • Your passport(s) and/or identity document(s), and
  • Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and
  • Any other document as applicable to the application.
  • If applying for more than one child, make sure to bring the above for each individual application. Every application must have a full set of photocopies of its supporting documents.

Copies of the forms are not required.

In most cases, both parents will appear to sign the passport application form in the presence of a Consular Officer.  In the event one parent cannot appear, a Notarized Statement of Consent (click to download FORM DS-3053) prepared by the non-appearing parent must be submitted with the passport application.  A Danish notary service is acceptable.

One-parent signatures are acceptable when submitting the following primary evidence of sole authority:

  • The Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) listing only the applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adoptive parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.  A third-party in loco parentis may not apply on behalf of a child under 16 except in exigent circumstances.

You can pay the appropriate passport services application fee in DKK KR, in U.S. dollars, or by credit card.  Note that we can only process credit card payments if the card holder is available to sign the payment authorization slip.  When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change.  For the current fee, click here.

Set up an appointment via the link below.  IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone.  You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.

Set up your appointment online.

Take note of our access and security instructions.

Picking up in person option:

No appointment necessary – Pick up time: 8:15 a.m. ONLY, Monday through Thursday, except holidays:

Our holiday schedule can be found  at:

You will received an email informing you the documents are ready for pickup. Please bring copy of this e-mail, photo Id and your previous passport if you did not turn it in when you applied for the passport. No appointment is necessary.

Mailing option:

 If you would like us to mail the documents to you, you need to provide  a A4 (±23 x 33 cm) sized envelope addressed to you with a recommended mail postage label (  Retain your tracking number.

Alternatively you may add 99 DKK stamps on your return envelope for Denmark, and 132 DKK stamps for Sweden/Greenland or Faroe Islands.

Minor passport renewal, under age 16, both parents*** and child must appear.


  • Your child’s most recently issued passport & both parents’ passports
  • Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • A 5×5 Cm/2”x2” recent (less than 6 months old) color passport photo, look straight into the camera, no glasses, white background
  • Form DS-11, pages 1 and 2, printed on two separate sheets, duly filled out but NOT signed! Do not print and bring the attached instructions. Do not use white out.
  • Printed photocopies of all your most recent passports biographic pages and all supporting documents as applicable, e.g. birth records, adoption records, etc.
  • The fee, to be paid in dollars, the DK KR equivalent or by credit card in your name! (no PIN card)
  • ***If one parent is not coming in that parent should prepare an original notarized statement of consent, preferably by using form DS-3053.
  • A5 (C5) sized passport return envelope, with your name and address and postage (Post Nord Recommended electronic label or“1” stamps: 99 DK KR or Denmark / 132 DK KR if you live in Sweden).

New passports can also be collected at the Embassy, Mon through Thursday at 8:15 sharp, except of U.S. and/or Danish holidays.  You will receive an automatic email when your passport is ready to be picked up.