Passports Services

If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.  See this page for more information.

Reminder for Dual National U.S. Citizens:  U.S. law requires all U.S. citizens, including dual-national citizens, to enter the United States using their U.S. passport. We urge all U.S. citizens to keep their U.S. passports current.


FORMS: Print only the actual form pages 1 and 2. Do not print the attached instructions but use this website instead to prepare your application.

PHOTOCOPIES: Bring the original documents required for your service and also bring printed plain legible photocopies of ALL these originals, including passports, to your appointment, one full set of copies per application!

VALIDITY: Adult passports are valid for 10 years, children’s passports are valid for 5 years.

WHEN TO APPLY: Apply 8 months before your passport expires or when you have less than 8 blank visa pages left.

PAGES: All passports issued overseas have 52 pages, no pages can be added.

PHOTO: Passport photos must be 2″x2″ (5×5 Cm.). No other size is acceptable.

PASSPORT DELIVERY: New passports are delivered to you via Post Nord recommended mail.  You must provide a self-addressed envelope with postage attached with your application.   We cannot mail passports outside of Denmark / Sweden.  You may also pick up your new passport in person at the Embassy:  Mon – Thursday at 8:15 a.m. sharp (only)

WHERE TO APPLY: All passport services are available by appointment only, except for the adult renewal-by-mail program.

PROCESSING TIME: Current passport processing time is about 2-3 weeks.

August 4, 2020:  The adult renewal-by-mail program is open and operational. We strongly recommend you use the renewal-by-mail option if you are eligible.

You will find detailed guidance for the service you need further down this page. Make sure you are fully prepared for your visit to the Consulate, otherwise we will unfortunately have to ask you to reschedule.

Information about Social Security Numbers (SSN) 

If you have been issued a Social Security number you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. If you fail to provide this information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

For additional inquiries about SSN or Federal Benefits, Social Security services for residents of Denmark are provided by the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Oslo, Norway. For information on Social Security benefits, you should access the FBU website

This section is for applicants who:


  • Cannot present their last passport (lost or stolen)
  • Have never been issued a U.S. passport before
  • Hold a passport issued before the age of 16 or more than fifteen years ago
  • Hold a five year passport
  • Hold a damaged / mutilated passport

There are special instructions for passports for minors under 16. Please see “Children’s Passport“.

You must come to the embassy to apply for a passport. Please read application instructions carefully.

In an emergency situation, If there are no regular appointments available in the next two weeks and you need a new passport on very short notice because you have an emergency situation requiring you to travel to the United States, you may use the following guidance to prepare for your application:

  1. Fill out and print FORM DS-11 or FORM DS-82

For a Lost, stolen passport or passport for minor child:

Complete FORM DS-11 online, and print it out. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Danish address, even if it is only temporary.  Do NOT sign the form.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

For a Recently expired 10-year passport:

Complete FORM DS-82 online, and print it out. Do not print the instructions as you are to use this website instead.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Danish address, even if it is only temporary. You may sign the form in advance.  Applications filled out by hand may require longer to process.

2. Proof of Citizenship

Bring your last issued U.S.passport.  If you no longer have your last issued passport, prepare FORM DS-64, and bring:

– your original U.S. birth certificate, or
– your original Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or
– your original Naturalization Certificate, or
– your original Certificate of Citizenship

3. One 2″x2″ (5 x 5 cm.) U.S. format color passport photo

Provide one U.S. format photo: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo. We cannot process the smaller Danish format photos!  Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.  Make sure to watch the video.

4. Proof of Your Emergency

In order for the Consular staff to determine whether you meet the requirements for an expedited appointment outside of our regular appointment system, your request must include evidence of your emergency situation.  This could be:

  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency in the United States, such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be in English, translated if necessary.
  • Proof of other unexpected family circumstances in the United States, e.g. a marriage invitation
  • Proof of international travel (itinerary/e-ticket)

An expired passport by itself is not considered an emergency by the State Department, nor is running out of blank visa pages.  It is best to renew a passport 8 months before it expires or when you have less than 8 blank pages left.  Know that in the United States you can Get a Passport in a Hurry, at an extra fee, as long as your passport is still valid on the day of travel, blank visa pages or not.

5. Photocopies

Bring a plain photocopy/print out of:

  • Your expired passport
  • Your proof of the emergency
  • any other documentation applicable to your application.

Copies of the application forms are not required.

6. Emergency Passports for Minors

Emergency passport issuance for children under age 16 has the same document requirements as regular passport issuance for children under age 16.  I.e. you must present proof of your relationship with the child, both parents must consent to the issuance of a passport, etc.  Please click here for more information on how to prepare for such an application.

6. Passport Application Fee

You can pay the appropriate passport services application fee in DKK KR, in U.S. dollars, or by credit card.  Note that we can only process credit card payments if the card holder is available to sign the payment authorization slip.  When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change. For the current fee, click here.

7. Do I need an Appointment?

Yes!  First try to set up an appointment via the regular instructions:

Note that slots open up if we receive cancellations. Check back with our appointment system regularly if you wish for a earlier appointment slot.

If you are a resident of Denmark and have imminent travel, but no valid passport, and there is no appointment available in the next 10 working days, send an email to With this e-mail provide us with:

  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be in English, translated if necessary.
  • Proof of international travel (itinerary)

We will then contact you by e-mail if we can give you an emergency appointment.


Try to arrive at the Embassy at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment time.  If you miss your slot we must ask you to reschedule.

If you are not a resident of Denmark and stranded in transit without a valid passport and need to travel within the next week, please check our lost or stolen passport page.

Amending passports: Adding extra pages is no longer possible. If you run out of pages, you need to renew your passport.

Learn more about changing your name on your passport.