Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

Important Update: The U.S. Embassy is closed for loss of nationality services.  We do not have a definitive date for the resumption of loss of nationality appointments.  Check this page often for the most up-to-date information.  We are not scheduling loss of nationality appointments at this time. 


Before you Start the Renunciation or Relinquishment Process

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to scheduling an appointment to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship.  Review the legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process.  You should also read information about the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and visit the IRS website to ensure you understand the possible tax implications.


Requesting an Appointment at U.S. Embassy Copenhagen

In light of the serious and irrevocable nature of the decision to renounce or relinquish U.S. nationality the process requires two interactions with the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen:  a phone discussion with a consular representative and an in-person appearance before a U.S. consulate officer to take and sign an oath of renunciation or relinquishment.  If you are renouncing under section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act you are also required to pay a renunciation fee of $2,350 at the time of your in-person appointment at the Embassy.  This fee can be paid in cash (USD or DKK) or by credit card.


Send an e-mail to to request an appointment to begin the loss of nationality process.  A team member will respond with additional details about the loss of nationality process.

If your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, it is necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad”, before a consular officer.

Please click here to learn more about birth abroad