If your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, it is necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” (CRBA) before a consular officer.

How do I Register a Child?

You are required to register your child in person and bring your child to the Embassy. We recommend that you register your child as soon as possible after his/her birth. It is not possible to register a child over the age of 18.

Please make sure that you carefully review the application process and the application form (DS-2029) (PDF 113KB) to ensure that the form is completed correctly. Please review this example of a properly completed CRBA application form (PDF 145KB). Please also review this narrative explaining the personal information entered in the example.

For additional information and guidance on the CRBA procedure, including detailed guidance on filling out the application form, please watch the CRBA informational video to the right.

Before scheduling your appointment, you must fill out blocks 1 through 25 of the application form (as well as blocks 26 and 27 if applicable). Do not fill out blocks 28 or 29 until your interview with the consular officer.

Once you have filled out your application form, please scan the form and email it to A member of our consular staff will review the form and either schedule you for an appointment or inform you that additional work needs to be done on the form. You will not be scheduled for a CRBA appointment until after you have submitted a properly completed application form.

If you live in Jutland or Fyn, you may make an appointment to register your child and apply for a passport during the spring or fall consular visits, in lieu of applying at the Embassy. If you are registered with the Embassy you will receive notification of these visits.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad Check-List:

  • Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad DS-2029 (PDF 113KB). Please read the instructions very carefully before filling out the form and pay special attention to sections 24 and 25. In order for us to process the application, it is very important that sections 24 and 25 are completed with the parents’ precise periods of time in the United States before the birth of the child.
  • Original and one copy of documentation of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States, which can be but is not limited to school records. Please note that in general, the American Citizen Services Unit will require documentation for five years of physical presence before the birth of the child, of which two must be after the U.S. citizen parent turned 14. You can find more information on acquisition of U.S. citizenship by a child born abroad and physical presence requirements at the State Department’s website.
  • Original Danish birth certificate with the child’s name, signed and stamped by the parish, and one copy
  • If parents are married, original marriage certificate and one copy
  • If not married, an original acknowledgment of paternity (faderskabsattest) and one copy
  • If not married, a completed original DS-5507 (PDF 281 KB)
  • Original divorce/death certificates showing the termination of all prior marriages, and one copy
  • Parents’ passports and one copy of the biographical data pages for each passport

Please note that documents that are in a language other than English must be accompanied by an informal translation (i.e. you may write the English translation yourself directly on the photocopy of your Danish birth certificate).

Examples of Documentation of Physical Presence:

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence can include but are not limited to:

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • Passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
  • If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.

If applying for a passport together with the Consular Report of Birth Abroad:

  • Completed passport application form DS-11
  • One color U.S. passport size photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit:
  • One copy of the original Danish birth certificate with the child’s name (in addition to the copy required for the CRBA application)
  • One copy of the biographical data pages for each parent’s passport (in addition to the copy required for the CRBA application)

Fees and Mailing

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad fee is US Dollars 100/700 DKK

The passport fee is US Dollars 115/805.00 DKK when applying for a new passport using passport application form DS-11 if applicant is under 16 years old. If applicant is 16 years old or older the fee is US Dollars 145/1015.00 DKK.

The fee can be paid in cash or credit card. The American Citizen Services Unit accepts both Danish kroner cash and U.S. dollars.

If you wish to have the consular report of Birth Abroad and/or passport mailed to you, please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope with 90.00 DKK in stamps. A C4 envelope is the appropriate size for the CRBA and passport.

Residents of Sweden: If your child was born in Sweden and you are applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in Copenhagen, please note the following:

  • You should follow the instructions listed on U.S. Embassy Sweden’s website.
  • You will need to provide a pre-paid envelope, with Danish postage (120.00 DKK), to receive your documents.
  • Please be aware that applying out of the country where your child was born may cause significant processing delays for your application.