November 29, 2017
U.S. Embassy Copenhagen informs U.S. citizens that according to Copenhagen Police, the organization For Frihed (For Freedom – formerly PEGIDA Denmark) will stage anti-Islam demonstrations in Copenhagen on the first Saturday of every month, starting this Saturday, December 2, 2017. The demonstrations will take place from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Israels Plads, 1361 in Copenhagen.
A heavy police presence is not unusual during these events due to frequent and violent clashes with anti-PEGIDA counter-demonstrators. U.S. citizens who live near or are traveling through the area should exercise caution.
General Security Information:
U.S. citizens in Denmark are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Danish authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Danish police, rescue, and fire departments.
- For further detailed information regarding Denmark and travel:
See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Denmark Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Denmark, located at Dag Hammarskjolds Alle 24 in Copenhagen, at + 3341-7100 or by email at CopenhagenACS@state.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + 3341-7400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.