Event: Effective 12:00 p.m. local time on March 14 the government of Denmark will close its borders to all but Danish citizens, individuals with Danish work or residency permits, and those the Danish government determines have a critical purpose of travel (eg, someone commissioned to provide goods or services in Denmark). The measures will be in effect until April 13. There are no travel restrictions for U.S. citizens who want to depart Denmark. The border closures will impact a significant number of train, air, and ferry routes. It will also include a complete stop of all cruise ship traffic to Denmark until April 13. The Danish government will continue to allow the transport of goods into Denmark, including food and medicine.
The Danish government is implementing these measures to curtail the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Expect significant delays at all Danish ports of entry in the coming days.
Please visit the website of the Danish National Police (in English) for detailed information on these new measures.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Call the Danish COVID-19 hotline if you are in Denmark and experiencing flu-like symptoms: +45 70 20 02 33.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations .
- Expect additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Denmark.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark
Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 København Ø
During business hours: + 3341-7100
After business hours: + 3341-7400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Denmark Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter