Summer is fast approaching, and you might be planning a trip. If you intend to travel in the coming months, please take a moment to check the expiration date of your passport and the passports of all family members. If your passport is expired, or will soon expire, you should renew your passport now to ensure sufficient time for processing. You can find passport application forms with step-by-step instructions for submitting them on our website.
Skip the trip to the embassy! Renewal by mail or drop off allows you to pay the passport application fee online then mail or drop off your application at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen without the need to apply in person. Visit our renewal-by-mail (or drop off) page to determine if you are eligible to use this option. If eligible, you can pay the passport application fees online by U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, Amazon Pay, or PayPal. Drop-off hours are on business days between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Special Note: U.S. citizens who reside in Sweden are not eligible for the U.S. Embassy Copenhagen mail-in/drop-off option. Instead, they must use the renewal-by-mail option via the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm. There are two options for adult U.S. passport renewal applications for individuals who live in Sweden:
We strongly encourage you to use either the mail-in or drop-off option if you are eligible. We are prioritizing passport appointments for U.S. citizens who must attend an appointment in person and are not eligible for renewal-by-mail. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter.
Contact the American Citizen Services Unit by e-mail at CopenhagenACS@state.gov if you have questions. We wish everyone a safe and healthy summer.
Actions to Take:
- Read the country information page.
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Denmark.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark
Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 København Ø
During business hours: + 3341-7100
After business hours: + 3341-7400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Denmark Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter