Renewal by mail or by drop-off
The renewal-by-mail program is open and operational. The passport printing facilities in the U.S. have resumed operations and passports are processing without delays. We strongly recommend you use the renewal-by-mail option if you are eligible.
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals
You are eligible to use form DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application if:
- You can submit your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card;
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued;
- You hold a 10 year passport which was issued within the past 15 years;
- Your U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation or multiple passport thefts/losses; and
- You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or divorce or court order for which you can submit official documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) to support name change. If you have changed your name in Denmark, you need to provide the American Citizen Services Unit with a certificate of change of name (Navneændringsattest) issued by the local church office (sognekontor). Please note that the unit will not be able to accept a print out from your Nem-ID account.
If you do not meet these criteria please see “Apply for a Passport” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a DS-11 passport application in person at the embassy.
DS-82 Passport Renewal Form Submission Options
There are two options for adult U.S. passport renewal applications:
- Renewal-by-mail (or drop off) with online payment; or
- Scheduling an in-person appointment.
Renewal by mail allows you to pay the passport application fee online and to mail or drop off your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person. Qualifying adult passport renewal-by-mail applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, Amazon Pay, or PayPal. Please see our online renewal eligibility wizard to determine if you are eligible for online fee payment. Step-by-step instructions for renewal-by-mail are found below.
Special Note for U.S. Citizens in Sweden: U.S. citizens who reside in Sweden are now eligible for the renewal-by-mail option via the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm. There are two options for adult U.S. passport renewal applications for individuals who live in Sweden:
2. An in-person appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen or the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm.
Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm without the need to apply in person and is strongly recommended. Qualifying adult passport renewal-by-mail applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, Amazon Pay, or PayPal. If you live in Sweden and want to submit your passport application through the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm please visit their website for detailed instructions.
Applicants who wish to apply for their passport renewal at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen in person may still do so. This requires scheduling an appointment and paying the fees to our cashier at the Embassy. Click here to schedule an in-person appointment.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment – for U.S. citizens residing in the Kingdom of Denmark only:
Step 1: Complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form. Please complete the entire form by typing or printing clearly in black ink. Be sure to sign and date the form where stated.
Step 2: Obtain one color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit this link.
Step 3: Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the data page of your previous U.S. passport.
Step 4: Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.
Step 5: Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. You must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive via e-mail after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the embassy.
Step 6: Mail in or drop off your passport renewal application.
Pre-paid self-addressed envelope if you want your new citizenship documents mailed back to you. IMPORTANT MAILING INSTRUCTIONS: Please purchase a pre-paid mailing label on the Post-Nord website: https://www.postnord.dk/en. Please select “Rek & Value Traceable” and pay 96 DKK for mail within Denmark. For mail to Greenland, the Faroe Islands, and Sweden please select the appropriate country from the drop-down menu, then select “Rek & Value Traceable” and pay 132 DKK. Retain your tracking number. We are unable to mail to any other locations. Please do NOT use postage stamps on your envelope.
Drop Off Instructions
- Bring all the items listed above in an open/unsealed envelope to the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen on business days between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. You do not need an appointment to appear to drop off your completed passport renewal package. We are unable to accommodate drop off’s on days the Embassy is closed – weekends or Danish or U.S. holidays. The holiday list can be found on our website.
- Upon arrival at the Embassy inform the guard that you are a U.S. citizen and wish to drop off your passport renewal package.
- You will go through security screening, after which a member of our security team will have you place your passport renewal package in an envelope that will be logged with your name and date received.
- If you want your new passport (and old passport) mailed back to you. Obtain a pre-paid A5 (C5) self-addressed envelope to the address where you want your new passport (and old passport) mailed back to you within the Kingdom of Denmark. The envelope should include a recommended mail postage label. Retain your tracking number.
Step 7: You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your new passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. If you asked us to mail your new passport back to you, we will put your new and old passport in the local mail for delivery using your pre-paid, self-addressed envelope. If you did not provide a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope the e-mail you receive will provide instructions on how and when you can collect your new passport from the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. Passport processing takes approximately four weeks.
Instructions for DS-82 Submission in Person at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen:
Step 1: Schedule an in-person appointment at the U.S. Embassy using our online scheduling system.
Step 2: Bring the following documents with you on the day of your appointment:
- Your passport that you are renewing
- Passport application form DS-82(PDF 90 KB). Please complete the entire form by typing or printing clearly in black ink. Be sure to sign and date the form where stated.
- One color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; full face, frontal view against a plain white or off-white background. Danish passport size photos are not acceptable. Learn about U.S. photo requirements.
- One copy of the data page of your previous U.S. passport
- If you want your new passport mailed back to you, rather than coming back to the embassy to collect it in person,obtain a pre-paid A5 (C5) self-addressed envelope to the address where you want your new passport (and old passport) mailed back to you within the Kingdom of Denmark. The envelope should include a recommended mail postage label. Retain your tracking number. Alternatively, you may add 99 DKK stamps on your return envelope for Denmark, and 132 DKK stamps for Greenland or Faroe Islands.
- Cash – in Danish kroner or U.S. dollars – or credit card to pay the $130 DS-82 passport application fee (or 910 in DKK).
Step 3: You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your new passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. If you provided us a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope during your appointment we will send your passport back to you by mail. Otherwise, the e-mail you receive will provide instructions on how and when you can collect your new passport from the embassy. Passport processing takes approximately four weeks
If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to CopenhagenACS@state.gov and include your contact information.