An official website of the United States government

Passport FAQs

How long does it take to renew or apply for a new U.S. passport?

Passports are printed in the U.S. and can take approximately 3 – 4 weeks to be processed.

I want to apply for passports for my children. Do I have to bring them to the Embassy for their applications?

Yes, all children under 16 must apply in person with both parents present, or the appearing parent must present a notarized consent from the non-appearing parent — for further instructions see the section on Passports for Minors. Also, adolescents age 16 and above, or young adults over 18 who cannot submit a 10-year validity passport for renewal, must appear in person and submit the DS-11 application form — for further instructions see our section on the DS-11 application.

Do I submit my passport applications to the passport offices in the United States?

No, when living abroad you should always submit your application to the embassy or consulate serving your consular district. In Denmark, this is the Embassy in Copenhagen.

Can I renew my passport before it expires?

Yes, you may renew your passport at any time that is convenient for you. Please ensure that you have enough time to receive your new passport before you need to travel.

I need to renew my passport which is expiring soon — do I need to surrender it when I apply?

No, just tell us that you will need to keep it valid while we wait for your new one to be processed. It does mean, however, that you will need to apply in person for your new passport (i.e., you cannot submit your application by mail). You will also have to return to the Embassy to pick up your new passport so we can cancel the old one you have now.

Does my passport need to be valid for 6 months or a year in order to travel?

Your passport may be used for travel to and from the United States within the validity date displayed in the passport. Other countries may demand that your passport is valid for longer than 6 months. Please see www.travel.state.gov and country specific information under International Travel for entry requirements to foreign countries.

I have both a Danish and American passport — can I travel to the U.S. on my Danish passport?

No. Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use a valid U.S. passport when entering or leaving the United States.

I am a U.S. citizen (or a dual U.S. citizen/Danish or other citizen) and live and earn my income in Denmark. Do I have to file taxes in the U.S.?

Yes, all American citizens world-wide must report income by filing an annual U.S. income tax return, regardless of whether they also file and pay taxes elsewhere. For more information see www.irs.gov.

I am a U.S. citizen but do not have a U.S. social security number. How can I apply for one?

The U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen has no Federal Benefits Unit. Expanded regional Federal benefits services are provided by the Federal Benefits Unit in Oslo, Norway to all of Scandinavia. Please see our section on Federal Benefits. It is important that every U.S. citizen has a social security number, especially as you are unable to fulfill your U.S. tax obligations without one.

How do I obtain a certified copy of my U.S. birth/marriage/divorce certificate?

Please see our section on How to obtain vital records from the U.S. — please note that the Embassy cannot obtain records on your behalf.