- History of U.S. – Denmark relations
- Official Reports
- Treaties and Agreements in Force between the United States and Denmark
Summary of U.S. – Danish diplomatic relations
Denmark and the United States have never experienced an interruption in their diplomatic relations since they were first established in 1801. In 1917, Denmark sold the Danish West Indies in the Caribbean Sea to the United States; the islands are now known as the U.S. Virgin Islands. In 1949, Denmark became one of the charter members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Danish Recognition of the United States, 1792.
Denmark recognized the United States when the U.S. consul at Copenhagen, Hans Saabye, received an exequatar from the Danish government on or about June 9, 1792.
Establishment of Consular Relations, 1792.
Consular relations were established on or about June 9, 1792, when the U.S. consul at Copenhagen, Hans Saabye, received an exequatar from the Danish government.
Establishment of Diplomatic Relations, 1801.
Diplomatic relations were established on October 12, 1801, when the Danish Minister Resident to the United States presented his credentials to the U.S. government.
Legation Established at Copenhagen, 1827.
The U.S. Legation at Copenhagen was established on September 20, 1827, when Chargé d’Affaires Henry Wheaton presented his credentials to the Danish government.
Legation Closed, 1941.
The U.S. Legation at Copenhagen was closed on December 20, 1941, following the outbreak of war between the United States and Germany. German forces had occupied the city on April 9, 1940 and U.S. Minister Ray Atherton left Copenhagen on June 5, 1940. Atherton subsequently took up residence in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada as U.S. Minister to Denmark’s government, which remained in Danish hands until German authorities seized complete control in August 1943.
Legation at Copenhagen Reopened, 1945.
On June 16, 1945, the U.S. Legation at Copenhagen was reopened following Denmark’s liberation from German occupation during World War II.
Legation Raised to Embassy, 1947.
The Legation at Copenhagen was raised to an Embassy on March 18, 1947, when Ambassador Josiah Marvel, Jr. presented his of credentials to the Danish government.
On June10, 2020, the U.S. Consulate in Nuuk reopened with Sung W. Choi serving as the first Consul.