Event: Due to reduced staffing, effective March 17 only emergency American Citizen Services are available at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen.
There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 185,000 reported cases worldwide. As of March 16, the Danish government announced nearly 900 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the Kingdom of Denmark, including Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for countries in Europe including Denmark.
Local government actions: The government of Denmark closed its borders at noon on March 14 to everyone except Danish citizens, individuals with Danish work or residency permits, and those people the Danish government determines have a critical purpose of travel. These measures are in effect until April 13. Danish schools and most public services in Denmark are closed until at least March 27. Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the Danish government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Denmark.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark
Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 København Ø
During business hours: + 3341-7100
After business hours: + 3341-7400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Denmark Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter