Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Copenhagen (Thursday, April 26, 2018)
Locations: Various Locations in Denmark
Event: May 1st is International Workers’ Day. Several labor rallies, celebrations, and demonstrations will be held throughout Denmark on the day. Some of the events in Denmark include:
- An event hosted by the Greater Copenhagen Trade Union will take place at Fælledparken (Address: Edel Sauntes Allé, 2100 København, Denmark) on Tuesday, May 1 from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. An estimated 50,000 people are expected to attend.
- A demonstration, rally, and event organized by L.O. Aarhus (Danish Confederation of Trade Unions) and FTF (Confederation of Professionals in Denmark) Region Midtjylland will take place in Aarhus on Tuesday, May 1 at 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The demonstration will begin at the Radhuspladsen (Address: Rådhuspladsen 2, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark) and move to Tangkrogen (Address: Marselisborg Havnevej 1, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark). An estimated 20,000 people are expected to attend.
- The group Antifascitiske Unge (Anti-fascism Youth) will hold a demonstration in Kongens Nytorv (Address: Kongens Nytorv, 1050 København K, Denmark) at 12:00 p.m. 100-300 people are expected to participate.
- The group For Frihed (For Freedom—formerly PEGIDA Denmark) will hold a demonstration in Copenhagen at the Radhuspladsen (Address: 1599 Copenhagen, Denmark) on May 1 at 2:00 p.m. 20-50 people are expected to participate.
Danish police will be present at all locations to monitor events. Streets and transit may also be blocked at various times. U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark
+ 3341-7400 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444