The Legislative Branch
· The United States Congress consists of two houses. What are they called?
· What does Congress the sole authority to do?
· How many members are in the House of Representatives?
· What are the basic requirements to become a Member of the House?
· How many Senators are in the Senate?
· How were Senators chosen before 1913?
· Who can write bills to Congress?
· Who can introduce legislation?
· How many committees and subcommittees are there in Congress?
· Congress commitees can compel people to appear using subpoena power if necessary. What is subpoena power?
· What do you think it means to “filibuster” a bill?
· How do you break a filibuster?
· Who have to sign a bill before it is sent to the President?
· What can the President do when he receives a bill from Congress?
· What is a “pocket veto”?
· What is an “earmark”?
· What does it mean that the Congress has oversight over the Executive Branch?
· What does the Government Accountability Office do?