An official website of the United States government

Children's Passport

IMPORTANT: Passport Applications for Minors must be signed in front of a Consular Officer at the Embassy. To visit the Embassy, one must make an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit requests that you schedule one appointment for each person that needs a service. If this is not possible, please contact the American Citizens Services Unit by e-mail. The e-mail address is CopenhagenACS@state.gov.

All minors must appear in person.  The personal appearance requirement for all minors is a further step towards ensuring the integrity of the passport application process.

In general, the American Citizen Services Unit encourages both parents to come to the Embassy and sign the passport application in front of a Consular Officer unless one parent has full legal custody. If one parent has full legal custody, the parent must bring the original court order. If both parents are not able to attend, a Statement of Consent DS-3053, can be signed and notarized but no more than 90 days in advance of the interview.

Fill out and print form DS-11

Complete FORM DS-11 online, on behalf of your child, and print it out.  At ‘Mailing Address’ list your Danish address, even if it is only temporary.  Do NOT sign the form.

Social Security Number Requirement

You must provide an answer to question no. 5, even if your child does not have a Social Security Number or you do not remember it.

For a minor child that does not have Social Security Number, a parent must submit a statement, signed and dated that includes the phrase, “I (name of parent), parent/guardian of (name of child applying) declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: My child has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Present your child’s most recently issued U.S. passport.

Proof of relation between person(s) signing and applicant

As you will be signing on behalf of your minor child, you must show that you are the parent(s) or legal guardian. Documents demonstrating a child’s relationship to parents or guardians, include:

– U.S. or foreign birth certificate with parents’ names

– Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240),

– Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names

– Court order establishing custody or guardianship (original or certified copy).

One 2"x2" (5 x 5 cm) U.S. format color passport photo of your child

Provide one U.S. format: 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm.) passport photo of your child. Click here for guidance on the perfect U.S. passport photo.


Bring copies of the following:

  • Your child’s passport’s biographical information page, and
  • Your passport(s) and/or identity document(s), and
  • Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and
  • Any other document as applicable to the application.
  • If applying for more than one child, make sure to bring the above for each individual application. Every application must have a full set of photocopies of its supporting documents.

Both parents must consent to the issuance of a passport to a minor child

In most cases, both parents will appear to sign the passport application form in the presence of a Consular Officer.  In the event one parent cannot appear, a Notarized Statement of Consent (click to download FORM DS-3053) prepared by the non-appearing parent must be submitted with the passport application.  A Danish notary service is acceptable.

One-parent signatures are acceptable when submitting the following primary evidence of sole authority:

  • The Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) listing only the applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adoptive parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.  A third-party in loco parentis may not apply on behalf of a child under 16 except in exigent circumstances.

Passport Application Fee

You can pay the appropriate passport services application fee in DKK KR, in U.S. dollars, or by credit card.  Note that we can only process credit card payments if the card holder is available to sign the payment authorization slip. For the current fee, click here.

Setup Your Appointment

Set up an appointment via the link below.  IMPORTANT: Print the appointment confirmation page or save it on your phone.  You will NOT receive a confirmation e-mail.

Set up your appointment online.

Picking up/Mailing your new U.S. passport

Picking up in person option:

No appointment necessary – Pick up time: 8:15 – 8:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday, except holidays:

Our holiday schedule can be found  at: https://dk.usembassy.gov/holiday-calendar/

You will received an email informing you the documents are ready for pickup. Please bring copy of this e-mail, photo Id and your previous passport if you did not turn it in when you applied for the passport. No appointment is necessary.

Mailing option:

Pre-paid self-addressed envelope if you want your new citizenship documents mailed back to you.  IMPORTANT MAILING INSTRUCTIONS:  Please purchase a pre-paid mailing label on the Post-Nord website: https://www.postnord.dk/en.  Please select “Rek & Value Traceable” and pay 96 DKK for mail within Denmark.  For mail to Greenland, the Faroe Islands, and Sweden please select the appropriate country from the drop-down menu, then select “Rek & Value Traceable” and pay 132 DKK.  Retain your tracking number.  We are unable to mail to any other locations.  Please do NOT use postage stamps on your envelope.